Maintaining a castle is indeed interesting but alsotroublesome. A common opinion would be that expenses for maintaining a historic property are high enough.
We can’t argue with that, but there are ways how to optimize them.
- Heating, lighting, water and waste piping. It is necessary to take care of all castles and it means providing an optimal temperature and humidity regardless of the time of year and frost. It is believed that the temperature inside the premises must be at least 10 degrees of warm so that the rooms don’t get damp. If your castle has art objects, then you should take better care of them.
- In recent years, the owners of castles often use alternative energy resources (solar panels, windmills, hydroelectric power, heat pumps, etc.).
- No doubt, a castle has to be maintained by several people. At least there should be a gardener, repairman and a maid).
- Managing company.
- Accounting reports, personnel recruitment, representation in government and local administrations – all this is performed by the managing company.
- Reconstruction and construction.
- The main legal document regulating the protection of cultural heritage sites in Czech republic is the Law № 20/1987 Sb., «State protection of Cultural Heritage Sites.”
- According to the law, cultural heritage sites can be tangible and intangible items or their combination, which are significant evidence of historical development, lifestyle and social environment from the ancient to the present times, a manifestation of creativity and human work from various branches of human activity and the bearer of values of historical, scientific, technical, art, or those ones that are directly related to significant personalities or historical milestones.
- Real estate historical heritage sites are, for example, castles, churches, monasteries, chapels, buildings of folk architecture, estates, town houses and palaces, town halls, city fortifications and their remaining parts, gates and fences, old manufactures, gardens and parks or lands with significant archeological findings.
- The movable cultural monuments include items of antique art, sculptures and crafts that make up the collection, primarily equipment of castles and fortresses, church buildings, objects of rural material culture and historical libraries, or, for example, old machines and equipment in factories, power plants, etc.