The baroque castle of Lázně Bělohrad is located in the very center of resort city famous for its renowned treatment of the musculoskeletal system. The heart of the city lies in a beautiful park with Empire style greenhouse in the center.
The records on the original wooden fortress are well preserved and date back to 1354, when it was first mentioned as Nova Ves (New Village) – the settlement without a name. In 1550 Ian Shkopek of Bilyh Otradovic builds a stone fortress with white walls, which gave the name to the arising city – Bily Hrad (White Castle). At the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries the fortress is being rebuilt into luxurious Baroque castle by Berthold Vilém of Wallenstein. As a result he was finally appointed to the post of Governor of Hradec region.
Order on this project received Giovanni Santini – widely famous artisan through Central Europe aiming to create the most beautiful building in the entire city. Around that time was erected and later sanctified the chapel of St. John the Evangelist. During many years Berthold Vilém was trying to achieve the status of a city for Belohrad and as a result this right was finally granted by the Emperor Charles VI in 1722. The castle acquires its modern look in 1724 after the renovation by earl Shafgotsh.
The castle has changed many generations of noble owners by that time, when in 1850 the ownership was transferred to the manufacturer and knight Max Darmittser. He is not only remembered for creation of the spa resort in this area, but also for his Knightly manners and noble behavior. The descendants of Max Darmittser sell the estate to Countess Assenburg in 1885, who puts a lot of effort on turning this city in a true gem. In the beginning of the 20th century the city and the castle are visited not only by aristocrats but also by many artists. Among them is one of the most famous Czech writers K.V. Rais, whose monument was installed in the beautiful Empire styled greenery in 1959.
The castle has been nationalized in 1945 and thus served as a seat for agricultural school. Nowadays it still belongs to the city administration.
The Baroque style castle has the shape of a regular square with the chapel located in the main courtyard. There are few agricultural buildings located on the edge of the castle park (next to the greenery) which also belong to the castle territory.