Býchory is a small village near city of Kolin, where the knight Francis Xavier Horsky of Horskysfeld – a very successful economist and expert on agriculture, builds a picturesque castle with a squared four-storey tower rising to the top. The ambitious entrepreneur was inspired with the magnificent castles of Hluboka nad Vltavou and Miramare in Italy, which were built for the Empress herself. The descendants of Knight Horsky sell the estate in 1896. Prince Philip of Hohenlohe-Schüllingfurst becomes the new owner but some time later he sells the castle to the world-famous violinist Jan Kubelik.
The magic violinist from Býchory
He was rumored to be a wunderkind from the early childhood. The eight year old Jan was not afraid to perform in public and he easily gave some variations on Paganini. At twelve years his career starts excalating and as a result he gets in to Prague Conservatory. An exception had to be made for this talanted boy, since the students who has not reached the age of 14 were not allowed to enroll.
In his 20s he travels around the world and gets astronomical salary. He is successfuly welcomed in Milan, Paris and London. Concerts in Vienna also had a huge success and musical critics started to say that if he has lived in the Middle Ages he would be burned on fire as a wizard.
Rumor has it that at the end of his life he was invited to perform for Queen Victoria at Windsor Palace. Thus he was reportedly one of the last artists who performed in front of the Queen before her death.
He is young, successful and rich. Being a very humble person from the beginning of his life (his father was a tailor), he becomes the patron of arts and donates large amounts of money for the emerging Czech Philharmonic.
The Knight of Kolín
In Russia, his concerts were sold out within the first few hours. As a sign of respect to his homeland he recieves an honor from tsar – the Order of St. Anna. Upon completing the concert in Paris he receives the Chevalier Legion of Honour.
In 1904 he has been already married on a beautiful Hungarian countess Marianna Czaky – Szélova and the loving couple buys Býchory castle the same year.
A very gifted violinist herself, Marianna and Jan living the life full of happiness in this castle and thus giving birth to many little virtuosos. They had five beautiful daughters and some time later they welcomed their eagerly awaited son. The Maestro is often on public and succesfully performs for his million audience (mostly noblemen and royalty).
The Býchory village becomes famous thanks to Kubelik’s well known guests and as a result the castle turns into the prominent center of artistic life. Among the honored visitors were: the Czech composer and violinist Oskar Nedbal, and the prominent educator and music critic J.B. Foester. They play, compose and rehearse filling the castle‘s hallways with muse of music. Kubelik’s red and white flag is proudly waving underneath the castle indicating that the famous owner is at home.
It is not allowed to touch the „Emperor“
On Christmas of 1910 Kubelik buys the priceless musical instrument – the famous Stradivarius violin „Emperor“ from 1715. Together with the „Emperor“ Jan travels around the world and played on this instrument for his children until the end of his life.
Whenever someone visited Bychory and their famous owners, they wanted to see the precious treasure with their own eyes. Everyone could see it, but only few lucky ones could hold a violin in their hands.
After giving birth to five gifted daughters, Jan and Marianna welcomed their long awaited son, who was named Rafael in 1914. He became a world-famous conductor, composer and violinist just as his father.
In 1916 Kubelik sells Býchory and moves in to another castle in Orlov (close to Považská Bystrice) and it can be said that the happiest period of his life definititly comes to an end.
Jan Evangelista Kubelik is often compared with the famous Paganini. They both had the magical power over the violin, both were tall and lean with the bewitched look; and both had a huge success at the end of their life fighting with misfortunes. Kubelik kept on saying that Býchory always has been his very first and happiest home.
Since 1916 the castle turns into family residence for the Tauber family from Prague, they sell the estate to Dominik Čiperov in 1939, thus under his the general reconstruction of the castle has taken place.
The castle has been nationalized in 1948. It housed the Central Workers‘ School of Chemical Industry in fifties and some time later it served as a school seat.
In 1991 the castle together with the adjacent park has been returned to Čipera family – the descendants of the original owners.
In 2006 Elitprofit company with head office in Prague becomes the new owner of the property aiming to rennovate the entire castle.
The Castle represents a Neo-gothic building with two floors and additional space in the attic; its roof is a rectangular shaped roof with a saw-tooth edging and a four-story tower rising high on its eastern side. The Castle’s interior has preserved beautiful ceiling and wall frescos from the late XIX century. Byhory is surrounded with a 5 hectares large English Park, which once was an elegant piece of landscape architecture with delicately arranged floral scenery, perfectly harmonizing with ponds and fountains.
[ngg_images gallery_ids=“1089″ display_type=“photocrati-nextgen_pro_horizontal_filmstrip“]
Total land area – 80 000 m2
Usable area – 3 000 m2
Number of floors – 2 floors with an attic area
Condition – before reconstruction
Basement – Yes
Communication- electricity, water conduit, canalization
Heating – Local electricity
For more information, please contact us: