This Dominican Monastery lies in the village of Nové Dvory – the epicenter of classical Czech Baroque. The beauty of this place is easily seen through the beautiful garden landscape, sculptures and decorative elements of the monastery’s courtyard.
The building of St. Anna baroque church, located in the complex, has been completed in 1696. Together with the church was based the Dominican Monastery. Members of this Order were sent to all people, to those who believed and to atheists for the salvation of their souls.
In 1696 Bernard Vezhnik – the hetman and magistrate of Tchaslav region – completes the building of church. For his irreproachable service to the crown and Holy Roman Empire, he receives the title of Count from the Emperor. Immediately after acquiring Nove Dvory estate, Bernard Vezhnik carries out the ambitious plan of the castle renovation in the style of Baroque.
Beautiful park in the French style has been set up next to the monastery, serving not only for decoration, but rather being a practical addition – the fruits and vegetables for the table had been grown in the garden.
Construction of the monastery has been completed in 1727, however the monks never appeared, except for a few who worked in the garden and household yard. In 1739 Emperor Charles VI, the father of famous Maria Theresa, gave permission for creating a small community of priests. However, the following Emperor Josef II changes this decision in 1784 and places a school at the monastery, and one year later he abolishes the whole monastery. Since then science and enlightenment become dominant in this place.
Monastery corridors have been remarkably decorated with the paintings of local teacher Trzhiska in the 19th century. The painted walls could easily tell not only historical facts of the past but also the events of modern life. Students had textbooks in front of their eyes – the emblem of the region, the coat of arms of last owners of Nove Dvory estate – Chotkov family, and maps of the neighboring landings. The castle together with the adjacent church of St. Anna gets nationalized after the World War II.
High school used to be located in the monastery for some time, and later moved in to the local castle. The monastery served as a kindergarten, shoe factory and apartment house for the locals. After the Velvet Revolution in 1990s, the monastery in a terrible state has been sold to a private person who starts complete reconstruction. Today the monastery serves as a rectory and furniture company.
The monastery is surrounded with a wall, which presents a fence with forged gates and decorated with statues of saints. The whole complex consists of three buildings with two towers connected with each other. The middle building adjoins the church of St. Anne – central semicircular structure with a domed roof – which is an integral part of the monastery. Classic Baroque gateway is decorated with sculptural composition depicting the union between Bernard Vezhnik and Barbara Shvihovskaya.
Sculptural decorations: the pillars of monastery’s fence are decorated with statues of St. Anna, St. Dominic and St. Thomas. The statue of Mary Magdalene stands in the inner courtyard, the statues of kings David and Zacharia decorate the stone wall. The statues of St. Barbara and St. Nortburg are located in front of the priest house; the monastery building is crowned with the statue of St. Florian.
[ngg_images gallery_ids=”1113″ display_type=”photocrati-nextgen_pro_horizontal_filmstrip”]
Built-up area: 1200 m2
Gross Building area: 2400 m2
Gross living area: 2400 m2
Total land area: 6978 m2
Location on map:
[su_gmap address=”49.9726336, 15.3258694″]
For more information, please contact us: