This historic complex built in the style of Gothic and Baroque lies in the center of Pouzdrany village, which is also called the gates of Moravia. Historically linked with the adjacent Church of St. Nicholas and St. Vaclav, the complex was erected on the site of former Cathedral of Virgin Mary in 1498.
The first mention about this settlement dates back to 1244, when the recently founded Gerburg monastery in Brno acquires the vineyards at Pouzdrany. This monastery was built specially for the nuns of St. Augustine’s Order, also called the “Gerburg Virgins.”
In 1393 the house was built in this settlement, surpassing all neighboring buildings with its decoration and serving as the administrative building for the local church. Several storey building with a mansard roof belonged to one of the most beautiful buildings in the region at that time.
Since its founding the settlement was directly linked to the famous noble families of Czech Kingdom. In the middle of the 13th century it belonged to count Bochek of Obrzhany, the royal marshal and later appointed head of Znojmo city. In 1291 the area passed into possession of the Dukes of Liechtenstein, who owned it until 1556, when the ownership was transferred to Ambrozh of Ottersdorf. On the request of Frederick of Zhidlohovitsiy Zherotin the Emperor Rudolf II grants the Pouzdrzhany village the status of a city.
During the Thirty Years War (1618-1648) the city has been severely damaged by numerous armies passing through its territory. The city starts slowly recovering from devastation after the war ends. The Baroque style was flourishing at that time so the church and rectory were being renovated in accordance to fashion.
The whole complex has been in the possession of church until 1945. The building passed into possession of the local administration after the war, serving as a library and various shops. The estate finally passes into private ownership in 2011 and as a result starts the reconstruction process, which revived the preserved frescoes and stucco work in building’s interiors. The adjacent outbuildings together with the courtyard and garden were renovated as well.
The Baroque-Gothic building with a small garden in the inner courtyard lies in the very heart of the city. The courtyard is surrounded with the brick wall with the original 17th century frescoes. The interior of the building underwent through complete renovation: the original wooden and stone floors together with Baroque frescoes on the walls and ceilings were reconstructed. New system of heating and plumbing were conducted throughout the whole building. As for now there are 3 finished apartments in the building and 6 waiting for reconstruction. Original stone portals and wooden doors are also completely renovated; Gothic arched ceilings can be found in the cellar.
[ngg_images gallery_ids=”1115″ display_type=”photocrati-nextgen_pro_horizontal_filmstrip”]
Location on map:
[su_gmap address=”48°56’04.1 16°37’31.7″]
For more information, please contact us: